For a perfect lawn that will make your neighbors jealous, you need to look at lawn care maintenance as a year round endeavor. Each season your lawn requires different care. With a little diligence, determination and some help from Park Avenue Turf, you can enjoy a vibrant green lawn all year long.
Here are some seasonal tips that will help you keep that lawn looking better than ever year round!
- Spread granular, slow-acting fertilizer, only do this after a soil test, so you are adding only what the soil needs.
- Aerate the lawn to treat compacted soil
- Mulch with organic matter, if necessary
- Sharpen your mower blades at the start of the season
- Have your Irrigation system turned on, heads cut out and adjusted, battery replaced, check for leaks, etc.
- Remove dead or overgrown shrubs
- Learn the signs of bug infestation, and head them off before they get settled in
- Water your lawn 2 or 3 times a week if rain is scarce.
- Treat weeds and seed bare spots as soon as you see them
- Sharpen your mower blade again halfway through the season.
- Aerate and over seed your lawn
- Mulch with organic material, or mow a layer of fallen leaves into the lawn
- Fertilize your lawn around Thanksgiving to promote strong root growth during winter
- Don’t “scalp” your lawn in the fall – mow grass and leave at least 2 inches high.
- Even though grasses grow slowly during the winter months, remember to water your lawn if it doesn’t rain for three to four weeks.
Late winter is the time to apply pre-emergent herbicides to your lawn. Consult with your local garden center for direction on this process.
Northern California Seasons, Your Lawn, & Park Avenue Turf
Whether you live in Yuba City or San Francisco, you know how temperamental our California climate be. Seasonal changes, unexpected temperatures, droughts, and floods, can keep you on your feet and your hands dirty. Let the grass experts at Park Avenue Turf give you one less thing to worry about. We can answer all your lawn questions. So whether you live in Santa Cruz or Sacramento, turn to Park Avenue Turf for all your lawn maintenance needs.